Tuesday, January 8, 2008

More on Animal Language

It amazes me how things fall into place. I was at the public library today checking out some CDs (I really am a library junkie), and I picked up a college-course-on-CD about language, thinking it might be a good resource to point students toward as the semester goes on. The course is called "The Story of Human Language," and it looks to be mostly about language change and dialectology. Good stuff. But what really made me pick it up was that the first lecture is called "What Is Language?" which reminded me of what I'd just written about why Globish isn't a language.

And whaddaya know, most of the lecture centers around animal "language": how honeybees and apes and parrots can seem to have language, but only seem.

I may try ans see whether I can post some of the first lecture onto Blackboard as an additional resource for folks in the class.

No comments: